Wednesday, January 19, 2022

favorite books

Often I’m asked what my favorite books are and I usually draw a blank. So I’ve decided to start writing them down.
Fiction- I have a few but the most significant author for me is Lucy Maud Montgomery. She wrote many books in her lifetime, the most well known is the Anne of Green Gables series. But I fell in love with her books as a child/teen and have loved them ever since. She has a way of writing that draws one in. Weaving stories from her own life and just the life of living on an island in the Canadian seas. I found my love for staring at the ocean from her work. Waiting for the sailors of old to come in from their hard fought battles with the sea. :)
I also love the Count of Monte Cristo and Les Miserables. I read both of them too young and it was a laborious work at the time but the redemption elements in both stories have always fascinated me. 
I also loved Little Women and the series that follows and the Five Little Peppers series. 
And of course Lord of the Rings and C.S Lewis the Narina series. The pull for both for me has been the beauty of the journey and the parallels to our call as Christians. In re-reading the Lord of the Rings as an adult and knowing more of the author’s story, I have seen more of the PTS that he may have suffered from and maybe the struggle with processing the beauty of his world and what he left behind to fight in a war he didn’t want to go to. Interesting dynamic.
Parenting - give them grace 
Missional motherhood
Don’t make me count to three for practical side

Marriage - what did you expect - Paul David Tripp
When sinners say I do for more ethereal
What’s it like to be married to me for an honest look at the aspects of how I relate to others

Christian life - anything by Elizabeth Elliot

Biography- unbroken- single best book and most intense book I’ve ever read
He just is unbroken after horrible things happen over and over and over again until he returns from the war and finds Christ and his whole entire life changes . Everything because of Jesus.

Amy charmichael- just to see what her life could have been and she gave it all up to sacrifice for others

Others
Quiet - a recognition of what introverts truly are like.. an incredibly well thought out understanding of the world of introverts
Really helped me understand myself much better



No comments:

Post a Comment

pieces

It’s hard to explain. We have been here for only 6 1/2 years. But in that time, our souls have connected with hundreds of people. I have giv...